Steamed Pork Buns
2.5cm (1in) piece green ginger
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon hoi sin sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
3 teaspoons cornflour
250g (8oz) Chinese barbecued port
1. Place peeled and grated ginger, crushed garlic and oil in frying pan, saute gently for one minute. Add hoi sin sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil, simmer for two minutes, stirring constantly. Add combined water and cornflour, stir until sauce boils, reduce heat, simmer uncovered for two minutes. Add very finely chopped pork, stir until combined. Remove pan from heat, add finely chopped shallots, stir until combined. Allow pork mixture to become completely cold.
2. To make the dough sift flour, salt and baking powder into bowl. Rub in softened lard until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add combined warm water and vinegar, stir to a soft but pliable dough. Turn out on to lightly floured surface; knead lightly. Cover dough with plastic food wrap, allow to stand for 20 minutes. Knead again lightly. Cut dough in 12 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball.
3. Take each ball of dough and roll out on floured surface to a 10cm (4in) circle. Brush edge lightly with water. Place one round of dough in palm of hand. Put on tablespoon of filling in centre of round. Press edges of dough together.
4. Take the two ends of bun, bring them up over the pinched edge and twist together firmly. Cut 12 pieces of greaseproof paper into 12cm (5in) squares. Brush one side lightly with oil. Place a bun up-side down, so the smooth rounded side is uppermost on each oiled piece of paper.
5. Choose a saucepan slightly smaller than the diameter of the steamer you are going to use. Fill saucepan about one third full of water, bring to boil. Arrange buns on paper in single layer in steamer. If using steamer with two or three racks, fill remaining racks in same way. Place on top of first rack. Put lid on top. Steam over gently boiling water for 20 minutes. There is no need to change position of racks during cooking time. Makes 12 buns.