Fresh Spinach Soup
* 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
* 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
* 1 Tbsp. water
* 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 medium russet potato, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
* 2 cans (14 oz. each) fat-free, reduced sodium vegetable broth
* 1 bag (5 oz.) baby spinach leaves
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
* 1⁄2 tsp. garlic powder
* 1⁄2 cup evaporated fat-free milk
* 4 tsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onion for 3 minutes until translucent. Add water and garlic and sauté 1 minute more. Add potato and stir to coat. Add broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Add spinach, stir and simmer until spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer soup to blender and purée until smooth. Return to pot and place on low heat. Add garlic powder and milk. Stir 1 minute more. Serve in individual bowls and garnish with cheese.
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 140 calories, 4.5 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 21 g carbohydrate,
5 g protein, 4 g dietary fiber, 260 mg sodium.