Black Bean Soup with Avocado and Watercress
* 1 Tbsp. canola oil
* 1 cup prepared mild chunky salsa
* 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 tsp. ground cumin
* 1⁄2 tsp. ground coriander
* 2 cups water
* Lime juice, to taste
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
* Dash cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
* 1⁄4 cup cubed ripe avocado
* 1 cup minced watercress, for garnis
In large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté salsa, black beans, cumin and coriander for 3-4 minutes, or until tomatoes in salsa are soft and mixture is aromatic. Add water. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. In blender, purée soup until smooth. Return to pot and add lime juice to taste. Season to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne, if desired. Serve hot or chilled in individual bowls garnished with avocado and watercress.
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 140 calories, 5 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 19 g carbohydrate,
7 g protein, 6 g dietary fiber, 330 mg sodium