Blue Moon Diner Cap'n Crunch French Toast
- serves 4 serious eaters-
3/4 cup heavy cream
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 cups Cap'n Crunch cereal
8 to 10 slices thick-sliced white bread
Butter for cooking
For the topping:
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups frozen wild Maine blueberries defrosted
1. Mix the cream, eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk until combined.
2. Put the cereal in a storage bag and use a rolling pin or the flat edge of a large knife until it resembles cracker meal. Transfer it to a shallow dish.
3. Dip a couple of slices of the bread into the cream mixture until soft but not completely soaked. Let excess liquid drip from the bread, then press into the cereal crumbs to coat evenly. Place on a sheet pan and repeat with the remaining slices.
4. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat, add butter as needed, and cook the bread until it is caramelized on both sides, about 6 to 8 minutes total.
5. For the optional whipped cream topping, which may be gilding the lilly: Beat the cream, confectioners' sugar, vanilla with a large bowl in a hand mixer to soft peaks. Dollop on top of the French toast and serve with the berries.