Deceptively Delicious Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins
non stick cooking spray
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (creamy)
1/2 cup carrot puree
1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
2 tbsp trans fat-free soft tub margarine spread
1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 large egg white
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup strawberry preserves
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with baking cups.
2. In large bowl, beat the peanut butter, carrot puree, sugar, and margarine with a wooden spoon until well combined. Stir in the yogurt and egg white.
3. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until just combined, but do not over mix - there should be lumps in the batter.
4 .Divide the batter among the muffin cups and drop a spoonful of preserves on top of each.
5. Bake until the tops of the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center, 20 - 25 minutes. Turn the muffins out onto a rack to cool. (Don't flip them over or the jelly will fall out! I learned this the hard way)
6. Store in an airtight container at room temp for up to 2 days, or wrap individually and freeze for up to 1 month.
Number of Servings: 12