* 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* 3 cloves garlic, sliced
* 1 cup shredded fontina cheese or 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon, dill or chives or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 4 cups chopped vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots and snap peas, or 16-ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables
* 1 16-ounce package frozen cheese tortellini
1. Put a large pot of water on to boil.
2. Meanwhile, whisk broth and flour in a small bowl. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until just beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the broth mixture to the pan, bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cheese, tarragon (or dill or chives) and salt.
3. Add vegetables and tortellini to the boiling water; return the water to a simmer and cook until the vegetables and tortellini are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain; add to the pan with the sauce and stir to coat.
Per serving: 424 calories; 15 g fat (8 g sat, 4 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 5 g fiber; 566 mg sodium; 321 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (126% daily value), Calcium (20% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv), Folate (16% dv).
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 2 fat