Ravioli & Vegetable Soup
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 cups frozen bell pepper and onion mix, thawed and diced
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/4 teaspoon crushed crushed red pepper, or to taste (optional)
* 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
* 1 15-ounce can vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
* 1 1/2 cups hot water
* 1 teaspoon dried basil or marjoram
* 1 6- to 9-ounce package fresh or frozen cheese (or meat) ravioli, preferably whole-wheat
* 2 cups diced zucchini, (about 2 medium)
* Freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pepper-onion mix, garlic and crushed red pepper (if using) and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, broth, water and basil (or marjoram); bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Add ravioli and cook for 3 minutes less than the package directions. Add zucchini; return to a boil. Cook until the zucchini is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
* Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Thin with broth before reheating, if desired.
Per serving: 264 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 8 g fiber; 763 mg sodium; 762 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Iron (21% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat